Planning for other subjects always seems to be more of a priority than when we plan for science. Science gets pushed back due to time, not feeling comfortable teaching the material, lack of resources, and expenses (to name a few).
I have something to address all of those issues and let this year be the year you teach science the way you wish you had been taught. This post contains affiliate links, you can read my full disclosures here.
If you are like the rest of the world, time is a big issue. There is always a kiddo that needs more attention in some area of the other. You have other obligations besides school work and sometimes the learning curve just seems steeper than you can overcome in the limited time you have available.
That is when picking the best science curriculum is the most important. Notice I did not say create. There is no need to re-invent the wheel.
I’m going to give you some tips and tricks to help make resources work for you and how to choose the best science curriculum options for you and your kids. Plus there is a giveaway!
Picking the best science curriculum
When it comes to science resources, there are different schools of thought and to be honest it is going to depend so much on your teaching situation that I’m not going to even begin to address many of the issues.
I’m going to focus on the things that you are looking for in a quality science resource that is easy to use and effective. These are the things that are independent of worldview.
When considering a science resource I start with these 3 questions:
- Is background information provided?
- Can it be adapted for different levels or ages?
- Does the flow make sense to me?
If you can answer yes to those, then you are on the right track. Please take note of number 3. It can be a beautiful curriculum, but if it doesn’t flow for you then it isn’t going to work for your situation.
You look through all the sites and things and you’ve found something pretty solid, but not perfect. That’s O.K. In fact, that’s even better, because that’s how you make the best science curriculum your own.
Adapting quality resources
No matter how good a resource is, you know your kids best. You may need to adapt it for learning differences or age levels or other issues. Adapting curriculum is a necessary part of teaching.
You need to start with a system for your lessons. I suggest this planning model for science.
When considering adapting resources, you are looking for a few things…
- Is it editable? If not, can it be broken into pieces (you can use parts and not use parts)?
- Is there a way to make it more or less challenging? This might include using parts or available extension activities.
- Is it a quality resource to begin with? (see questions above)
That is just a starting point.
You can grab my Science Resources Checklist to help you evaluate resources to meet the needs of you and your kids. Enter your name and email below and it will be delivered to your inbox.
To help you get started, with some of the best science curriculum and resources. I have a Growing Science Resource Basket that I am giving away this week!
This basket includes (actual basket not included):
The Lab Bench is a 25-project activity book (downloadable pdf) ideal for anyone that wants to encourage young scientists. The activities include information to make your life easier- background information, demonstration activities, video links, extension activities, answers to common questions & more.
The focus of this book is to create simple science experiments that are easy to execute, but that help kids understand scientific theories. These science projects for kids are cool experiments that let them explore science and ignite their passion. The target age range is grades 8-14.
The ultimate science resource, this site offers a huge range of planning tips, activities and ideas for educators. Subscribe to the Science Circle site and immediately receive a fantastic selection of core resources from science lesson plans to projects and worksheets, and then receive monthly emails to update you on the newest available downloads.
Home Science Tools Gift Card (value $25): A great place to pick up science tools and supplies.
Amazon Gift Card (value $25): For anything you need to help the year go a little better.
27 Additional Giveaways!
28 homeschool bloggers have joined together to provide one massive back-to-homeschool basket giveaway! Take a peek around these 28 sites and enter to win as many baskets as you like. Each blogger is conducting her own giveaway, so you never know…you may end up winning more than one! All giveaways will be live on Monday, August 7.
(1) Our Favorite Literature by Geek Families
(2) Ocean Learning Gift Basket by See Jamie Blog
(3) Getting Back to Homeschool Bundle Giveaway by Renée at Great Peace
(4) Back to High School Giveaway Basket by BJ’s Homeschool
(5) Hands-On Learning Basket by Homeschool Hideout
(6) Box of Preschool Busy Bags by Happy Brown House
(7) Middle School Homeschool Curriculum Giveaway by Starts At Eight
(8) Life of Fred Math Books Gift Basket by Look! We’re Learning!
(9) Medieval England Unit Study Basket by Table Life Blog
(10) Favorite Homeschool Things With a Texas Twist by Classic Housewife
(11) Bible Study for Kids giveaway by Adventures in Mommydom
(12) Back to Homeschool Morning Time Gift Basket by Everyday Graces
(13) Mom’s Quiet Time Gift Basket Giveaway by Embracing Destiny
(14) Five Days of Fine Motor Fun by This Outnumbered Mama
(15) Plan to Play Basket by Hide The Chocolate
(16) Middle and High School Living Book Lover’s Delight! by Tina’s Dynamic Homeschool Plus
(17) American History & Government Back to School Pack by Blog, She Wrote
(18) Create Your Family Mission Statement by Not So Formulaic
(19) The Home Education Road Map Scholarship Homeschool Giveaway by Grace, Grow & Edify
(20) Homeschooling Through the Seasons Basket by Amy’s Wandering
(21) Elephant and Piggie Favorite Book Characters Giveaway by Line upon Line Learning
(22) Back to Homeschool Giveaway 2017 by That Bald Chick
(23) Back to School Shopping Spree by Sallie Borrink
(24) Travel the Globe with a World Geography Gift Basket by Eva Varga
(25) Getting Started with Home Education by My Little Robins
(26) Back to Homeschool Online Music Course Giveaway by I Choose Joy!
(27) Growing Science Resource Basket by The Learning Hypothesis
(28) The Great American History Gift Basket by Family Style Schooling